Tuesday 12 June 2012

Thursday, April 26, Day 46


Telemachus and Mentor

Telemachus and Mentor

Art: Pablo E. Fabisch, 1699


Art is the elimination of the unnecessary. -Pablo Picasso, painter, and sculptor (1881-1973) 





Thursday, April 27th:


Had been looking forward to a bit of a sleep-in as we'd been up so early on Wednesday in order to attend the ANZAC Memorial Service. However, as it turned out, I must have had a very refreshing sleep as I awoke just after 6:15am and rolled out of bed to make a cup of Instanto and then worked away on email and the Infernal Diaries. Cora Lee sighed and sighed and sighed around 8:00am so I made her a cup of English Breakfast to ease her into the day. For my part, I was booked to take a scenic, one hour flight with Kakdau Air at noon. I had to be at the Ranger Airport by 11:45am so I had plenty of time before leaving the hotel. Coriandre had decided she would laze around the pool while I was away. Until she kissed me goodbue at around 11:00am, to head to pool, I answered email and she perused the travel books we had on Japan, trying to map out our itinirary.


About 11:20am I drove the 6K to the airport. According to some of the sources I came across, it really was the development of the Ranger Uranium Mine that opened up Kakudu National Park for large scale tourism. I had not known that the town of Jabiru and the airport were built by Ranger Uranium to support the mine. At any rate





Ray,

Are you up for a ride today? It looks like the weather MAY be favourable for a short while this afternoon. G


Downtown Darwin

Hi Corinne & Patrick:

Glad to hear that you are dodging those 5 metre crocs and otherwise enjoying the Top End. Very different from anywhere else in Australia, I think.

We are looking forward to your stay with us. You will probably die from the shock of weather - hardly got above 5 degrees here today.  But we can lend you woollies... 

Let me know ASAP when you will be arriving in Melbourne - and can you remind me when you leave for Japan - can't remember if we should be planning for two weekends of fun and frolic?  I am going to try to tailor some of my working hours around your stay. 

You might be interested in a big book fair that is on in Clunes (about 1.5 hours drive from here) on the first weekend you are here www.booktown.clunes.org/ I've never been and would be game to make it an outing if you would like.  

Cheers from Kathleen 


Visiting Old Oak:


Hi Kathleen, We are arriving in Melbourne on May 2 and leaving May 10 for Sydney. We've noticed the temps. It has been around 30 here each day and must say I'm getting use to it but would never choose to live here. Saw 7 crocs yesterday on Yellow Waters Cruise, very exciting with even an almost fight. Patrick is taking a flight over Kakadu today. 


We're interested in the book fair.  We will let you know as soon as we have finalized exactly how and when we are arriving in Melbourne, Love Corinne

No comments:

Post a Comment