Monday 11 June 2012

Sunday, April 15th, Day 35

The most erroneous stories are those we think we know best -- and therefore never scrutinize or question. -Stephen Jay Gould, paleontologist, biologist, author (1941-2002)


Downtown Cairns
Hi Whirlygig!

I do believe that you have discovered why Ragin' is so slow to join the petelton: he is mired in tar!
Sorry I've not responded earlier but once again the demands of the Road come between me and my keyboard! Too, too bad about technical difficulties with Skype but it was great to see grizzled visages and obscene gestures if only for a short time. Transmission gave "Read my lips" a whole new meaning! With respect to next NRBC, please go ahead with whatever date suits rest of lads. I will try to pick up a copy of the book, either in paper or in virtual format. Whether I'm able to do so and read it remains to be seen. Of course I realize that the reading part is the least essential part of the equation.

Have had some very exciting day trips, (Daintree Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef), while here but these excurions are being serialized so fans will simply have to wait as Charles Dickens and I struggle to meet our publisher's unrealistic deadlines! We are off to Darwin this morning, F/S to Melbourne where they have tickets for an Aussie Rukes Footy Match, St. Kilda vs Freemantle. Believe Stefano is planning to join them as per telephone converstaion last evening.

Am very impressed with your laste peleton effort. Terrific work, even allowing for tailwind! How is the section of the bike path that was affected by road construction? Finished? I assume you now have the route from Burnaby to New West to Queensborough Bridge/River Road hardwired. Have to head for the 50 metre lap pool shortly as I want to get in a swim before breakfast. Pool doesn't open until 7:00am and we have to check-out by 10:00am so I'll only have time for a paltry 2.33K! Not too, too unhappy as I logged 3.5 miles yesterday, 6K, (6.33K in peleton-speak!), yesterday morning as we were granted a "free day" by the Tour Director, (known by code-name "Flamin'", a former member of the Stazi in East Berlin, now terrorizing tourists instead of political dissidents. Greetings to your Babes. Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Sunday, April 15th

Up at just after 5:00am as I had slept rather soundly all night. I was planning to get up, at 5:45am to be ready to ride by 6:00am so decided I'd use the time to catch up on email. Just after 5:30am Roger Rabbit showed himself to take a look outside. Easier to see what the situation was from the patio rather than from our bedrooms, curtained as they all are, to allow The Sisterhood to slumber undisturbed by the elements. In fact, I thought it was not raining at all when I climbed out of bed but when we ventured out onto the deck it became quite apparent that it was raining quite steadily, if not too heavily. Such being the case the Pesky Wabbit called off the ride, as he said he would, given the fact that the weather forecast predicted showers for the morning, last night, before we bade one another goodnight.

RR returned to catch a few more winks while I put on the kettle so that I could enjoy a java while I corresponded with the Northern Hemisphere. While I was waiting for the water to boil I noticed that the light was on in bedroom occupied by Flamin' and Sarge so I poked my head inside the doorway and found Flamin' reading on her iPad. Told her that the ride had been cancelled and Sarge, feigning unconsciousness, grunted, in relief, I do believe, rolled over and went back to sleep. I returned to make my Instanto and then used Groggenheimer's laptop to handle my email backlog. I find it easier and more efficient to use a larger keyboard, rather than the iPad's virtual keyboard. My stubby Ukrainian fingers are constantly adding unwanted letters, words and punctuation marks to my scribblings.

I worked away at my correspondence until just after 7:00am. Flamin' joined me, sitting at the dining room table, beside the nook tucked into a corner under the stairs to the second floor, around 6:30am, and when I vacated my work station she slid into the chair to print out our boarding passes. Moving from the keyboard to the bedroom I found Cora Lee yawning herself awake and asked her if she wanted a cup of tea. She did indeed, telling me to nuke the cup, (She prefers the microwave to the kettle, Dear Reader!), for precisely one minute and forty seconds, obviously the time she has discovered, since arriving at #16 Real Avenue, which heats the water to the desired temperature, so that The Royal Tongue remains unburned. 

After delivering the Earl Grey to her bedside I was then sent to fetch her iPad as she wished to "lie in" for a bit, before making her toilette. Once dismissed, I made good use of my time to assemble my scattered possessions and had my large bag packed and ready to go by the time the bathroom was free of both Flamin' and Lady Coramandel. Once Coriandre was out of bed, I stripped it and put the sheets into the washing machine, along with a shirt which needed laundering. I asked the rest of the cast of the Travelling Road Show if they had any last minute items of clothing which needed doing but nobody took me up,on my offer.

By a little after 8:00am Claire was up and Grinch Greg was in the shower. Claire wondered if we would be interested in strolling down to the cafe at the bottom of their street for breakfast and everybody was pleased to do so. Once Roger Rabbit was showered and changed he was back to his bright-eyed and bushy-tailed self and gang sat around patio table reading morning papers, (I digitated.)", chatting in a desultory fashion, until just before 9:00am when we loaded most of the baggage into the car and then made our way to the cafe, a pleasant little spot, a family business run by a woman from Vietnam. I had the House Breakfast, recommended by Greg, as I knew we wouldn't be getting so much as a sandwich on our Virgin Blue flight to Brisbane. After breakfast and a few more cups of tea/java, (cappuccino was terrif so I had a secondo), we, (Clan Sutherland and the Dunn/Durstons), split the bill, wanting to thank Claire and Greg, if only a small gesture, given their wonderfully generous hospitality, and walked back to their street.

Continuing on up the road, Real Avenue, we strolled to the top as they wanted to show us the mansion, typical timber and tin Queensland construction, wonderful covered balconies surrounded all the sides of the home we could glimpse from the driveway, which was originally owned by a Dr. Real. The street, in fact, used to be the long approach driveway to the palatial abode when the dwelling was first constructed. Gorgeous grounds, filled with towering palms and other native species of plants and flowering shrubs.

Enjoying the many other interesting dwellings, though none so grand as the secluded mansion, which lined the street we made our way back to #16 to finish last minute packing and take a few groups snaps. Greg had very kindly printed out two map pages showing the easiest access to the motorway which we would take to the airport. Fond farewells and embraces, hoping to see both Claire and Greg in a year or so when they plan to do a round-the-world trip. Waved goodbye at just past 11:00am and stopped to top up the gas as we were obliged to return the car with a full tank.

Traffic was quite light and we had little trouble making it to the airport and finding the rental return. Unloaded the car and found a couple of luggage trollies while Sarge settled up. About ten minutes later we found the Virgin Blue Bag Drop-Off and checked our bags and then proceeded through Security. I set off the alarm, as I knew I would, and after my Crocs were sent back through the screening contraption, (passing with flying colours, so to speak), I was motioned over for a "random" explosive test. (I'd been subjected to the same test in 2006 when I'd flown from Brisbane to Melbourne). I had predicted this, as well, so rest of gang we well on the way to our departure gate, (#41), by the time I had been declared a non-threat!

We had about an hour before boarding commenced so we had a bite to eat, (a large box of chips, family pack, from a fast-food outlet), and which turned out to be rather good so everyone was pleased as we IPadded and IPhoned the time away. Boarding started at 1:30pm and we were last section to be called, entering from the rear door of the plane, out onto the runway. Settled into our seats, not far from our traveling companions, and proceeded to read until take-off. Once airborne, I did a bit of digitating but shortly thereafter the captain announced that we would be landing in Cairns about twenty minutes earlier than expected and I started to feel drowsy. Put my IPad away and had a power nap, not waking up until we began our descent. Quite overcast when we landed and by the time we had taxied to a halt in front of terminal it was raining quite heavily. As a consequence we had to exit plane from the front so it took a bit longer than if we could have used rear door as well. Nevertheless, a very smooth flight.

Took a bit of time for our luggage to arrive on the baggage carousel and when they did most of them had received a good drenching. They must have been on top of the cart when the recent downpour had sluiced from the darkened sky. Sarge went to see about our pre-arranged rental and by the time we had all our bags he had the keys to our next vehicle: a luxury Nissan, SUV, XTrail-ST2.5, from Europcar, an upgrade with less than a 1,000K on the odometre, Obviously earlier drivers had stopped for many lattes! We made our way, under covered walkways and through some large puddles, to as close 
to where car was parked as we could. Rain had let up by then and it was really only a slight drizzle as we loaded car. 

Sarge is a veteran chauffeur by now and he had us out of the airport maze, with only a few dead end streets taken, on to the Cook Highway and heading north to Palm Cove. We were staying at Mango Lagoon, there, about 24K north of Cairns itself. Stopped, en route at Dan Murphy's in Smithfield, for hootch and then further down the mall at Woolies for groceries. Latter cost more than the booze and we bought a case of wine for $184! Back onto the Cook Highway and found Cedar Road, second exit into Palm Cove without the slighted bit of difficulty. However, couldn't seem to find #81-85 as complex is actually tucked back from the street and nobody could spot a street number. By trial and error we did find the right driveway and pulled under a covered car park into a stall that was closest, (more luck than good management), to our unit. 

Still drizzling, on and off, so we fire-bucketed the bags into the apartment as quickly as possible. Everyone was very impressed with the accommodation, Luxury, Sheer Luxury, perhaps the nicest spot we have stayed in over the course of the entire trip, other than when staying with friends, of course. Spacious, well appointed and even boasted a washer/dryer, a convenience, one values mightily, traveling for as long as we have been on the road. Once car was unpacked and rooms chosen, (The Sisterhood always decides!), I changed into my swim suit and made directly for the lap pool. Place boasts four pools: a shallow one, with sand on the bottom, mainly for young children and their minders; a deeper, traditional pool; a large spa/hot tub, (water isn't really much warmer than the 27C of the others, slightly more than a lukewarm bathtub), and the piece de resistance, a 50 metre lap pool! Could hardly believe my eyes when I first laid eyes upon it after gang reported on its existence and whereabouts. Lined with gorgeous palms it is about 1.5 metres deep, roughly chest level, its entire length, and about 2.5-3 metres wide, a small shelf bench running along each side, again the entire length, about a foot below the water line.

I started swimming at just after 5:30pm and managed a glorious 1.25 miles, (2K), finishing about 6:45pm, the sky dark but the ambient light more than enough to see by. Once again, I was a Millionaire as had the pool entirely to myself. Not even a lifeguard to keep me company. Certainly one of the most pleasant swims I've ever had, anywhere. Almost delirious with delight at being back in pool, (Last swim was in Newcastle on Easter Weekend.), and the prospect of longer distances possible, given the length of our stay, I returned to shower and change. 

Gang had set out crackers and cheese and we nibbled the tasty appis with an Annie's Lane, Clare, 2011 Riesling, 12%, $13.30, followed by a Henschke, Barossa/Adelaide Hills, Tilley's Vineyard, Semillon, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, Riesling, Chardonnay, 2.5%, $14.26. By the time the whites were gone, dinner was ready and we helped ourselves to blackened chicken, (The Sisterhood was so engaged in watching The Voice, Australian version, that although clouds of smoke were billowing from the oven, they remained glued to the screen. It was left to Sarge to rescue the charred bits of the poor chook while The Goils exhonerated themselves for the conflagration, blaming the grill vs roaster buttons on the oven, advancing the theory that they were absolved from any responsibility simply because they could not be expected to monitor a stove into which they themselves had placed the aforementioned chook parts and cranked up the controls of the broiler to temperatures which could melt aluminum and then go away and read brochures about swimming on the Great Barrier Reef. 

Funnily enough, Sarge managed to salvage the legs and, by this time, the shrunken breasts, so that they tasted more like brickettes than grilled chicken but the Charcoal Deficiency people were happy and so we helped ourselves to wonderful sweet potatoes, (Done to perfection, by Me, Dear Reader, in the energy efficient microwave, (no toxic clouds of vaporized chemicals from my contribution), and a green saladin, (once again, my efforts, mixing mixed greens with vine-ripened tomatoes, cuke, diced carrots and topped with Tasmanian Feta, sprinkled with Italian herbs), to complete the delicious meal. We opened a Fox Creek, McLaren Vale, 2010 Red Baron Shiraz, 14.5%, $14.25, but it didn't last very long so we were forced to crack a Cimicky, Barossa, 2009 Trumps Shiraz, 14.0%, $14.25, to make everything blend together.

I spent about 24 hours scouring the roasting pan upon which the innocent chooks were sacrificed as truly burnt offerings, while The Sisterhood did nothing but turn up the TV volume as my Kurly Kate exertions were making it difficult for them to listen to the pre-masticated pap to which they are pathetically and mindlessly addicted, Once the dishwasher was loaded I returned to the Den of TV Iniquity to scribe while The Goils vegetated in front of the 48" Mindoid Screen, determined to record the events of the evening.

By 9:30pm I was feeling a bit sleepish as I'd been up since 5:00am so I put on the dishwasher and bade goodnight to my traveling companions, looking forward to swimming, once again, in the 50 metre lap pool the next day. Could hardly believe that the resort had such a facility and I was still shaking my head at my good fortune when I turned out the bedside light at 10:00pm.

To be continued...

Hi Jean and John and Benson!


Finally had a chance to view Mountain Gorilla video. Quite a sight! Have so much to do, Netwise, and such limited access/composing time, what with hectic pace of life on the road, I can barely keep up with email and drink wine at the same tiime! Trust all goes well in Cadboro Bay. Fondestos from The Gang of Four! Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: You may prefer to read Friday's entry, (if you read any of the Infernal Diaries!), as it describes our latest bike ride.

Dear Patrick,

So many exciting adventures in Aussie land, what came to mind when we lived in Cooee Bay, friends took us on a little adventure and something you must look into when you pass through that part of Queensland. What began as a beautiful walk through an exquisite Eucalypt forest  we slowly  began to climb upward through  rugged mountains  passing ravines, tumbling waterfalls and through a magnificent rainforest, we entered the famous 'Capricorn Caves just outside of Rock Hampton.' They are famous and a tourist attraction .

We continued to slowly climb upward, these caverns are located above ground level, so you don't have to visualize going down, deep into dark ominous caves. We wondered though these large caverns with stalagmite decorations on the walls, here was home to thousands of insectivorous bats and hanging from the stalagmite were hundreds of python snakes, leaping every which way to catch a bat or two for lunch. The site was mesmerizing, a wonder to behold, a sight one never forgets. As we walked through caverns pythons leaping at us, bats zipping pass our heads one almost holds their breath    I can remember walking over these slithering snakes and if you have the opportunity to venture out a little advice for dear Cora Lee and her shoe fetish, make sure she wears sneakers, open toes  are a delicacy for pythons.

Love Jean

Hello Lads!

Trust everyone is well. As I mentioned to Whirlygig, in an earlier email, still working on Skype so could any responsible parties send along user name, etc., for whchever user/machine might be in use at NRBC. Time/day difference should give me an opportunity to get my system up and running before we go LIVE, as well as getting in ample supplies of wapatuli! (See Whirlissimo for translation!) Greetings from The Gang of Four!  Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Hi Patrick,

My skype name moe.tootoonian. Hopefully, see you virtually tonight.

Cheers Moe


P,

Sorry we could not connect last night. We had a fun night at Moe's.

Let me know if you are available to meet on Sunday 3rd of June.

Hoping to get out on the bike with the riders tomorrow.

Regards to the meandering four, W


Anyone interested in a ride on Tuesday?  G

Hi, Corinne,
I return to Texas on May 3, although only for ten days as semesters  here are very long (final return home is July 3). I will be there to help with the move (I say help because Ruth has shouldered all the work during my sabbatical), and Ruth's first day at work in Dallas is May 17. We attend Miranda's college graduation on May 12, from Rice - Adrian will be there too. A couple weeks later Adrian is joining me in Taiwan for a month! Possibly with a friend. Miranda has a big decision to make, about law schools and possibly working for a year first, decision due today!  


So we have a lot on our plates.  

Taiwan has been great. I just got a book out in March and have a contract (with Wiley-Blackwell) for another book in June, and I have already finished 20 of projected 36 chapters - on the schedule that I set for myself before coming here. I am teaching two courses, one for  MA students and the other for PhD students, and enjoying that as well. And taking hikes and enjoying cultural activities. A friend visited from San Antonio for a week. I introduced him to Jouching, as he had so many questions, and she was gracious to meet up with us one evening I've taken two hikes with her as well. Beyond that I hang out with Ruth's family and with colleagues at the university in Taipei where I participate in a reading group. All in all it's been a great spring, though at the expense of Ruth being alone in the final stages of the move to Dallas. When I return in July, we will finish settling in (she will have been there 6 weeks already), and I will find an apartment in San Antonio to use on teaching days.

Hope you are enjoying Australia. Love, Randy



Corinne,

Greetings! I enjoyed the video you sent. Was it Wayne sitting at the table with you and tapping away on the iPad?

I noticed that Randy didn't reply to your question on our Dallas move. We closed on it last Monday. Anne, a friend from San Antonio, drove with me to spend this last weekend there. I had made an appointment with an interior designer for two hours, and the three of us got furniture, wall color and art work 90% nailed down! Anne and I also tried a restaurant Avanti just down the street and had a fabulous Italian meal. We then walked to a small theatre and saw a play Superior Donut. I was most appreciative of Anne's company while I laid there on the new air mattress in our new home, trying to get used to the new sounds of a strange new home!

We now have our home listed for sale. We have gotten the "guaranteed buyout offer" from AT&T and are happy to have it as a fall-back if we don't sell in three months, when AT&T will buy the house from us.

Tonight is the deadline for Miranda to decide whether to go to Univ of Texas law school, and she decided against it. She chose to enroll in UVa (Univ of Virginia) in a year (deferment already approved) and spend the next year working in Houston. She has gotten so close to her Rice friends that being able to stay in Houston is a major factor for her. Randy and I both decided that she deserves to take a year off because she will have a long road of hard work ahead of her -- 3 years of law school and many more years of laboring away in a law firm. So we are now excited about her decision. Between vacating our home in San Antonio (thank goodness that AT&T will have movers take care of packing, loading, unpacking, etc.) and setting up in Dallas when Randy comes home, we will have to help Miranda furnish an apartment in Houston that she will share with a good friend. Crazy time for us!

When do you head back home? Please say hi to Patrick for us. Haven't seen his journey in a while ... Take care! Ruth

 

No comments:

Post a Comment