Wednesday 14 March 2012

Thursday, March 15th, Day 4

A sound mind in a sound body, is a short but full description of a happy state in this world. -John Locke, philosopher (1632-1704) 




Reductio ad absurdum

Demonstration of the falsity of a premise by showing an absurdity to which it would logically lead.


"I'm sorry, but all these 'life begins at conception' arguments are sheer nonsense. Killing a cluster of cells that has the potential of becoming human life is not the same as killing a human being. Here is a reductio ad absurdum argument for all the extreme pro-lifers. With modern cloning technology, a simple skin cell is a potential baby. Where do pro-life people stand on removing a wart or a mole? Are dermatologists the latest in the long list of baby killers?"
Dialogue is Needed on Abortion; St. Petersburg Times (Florida); May 20, 2009.




Hi again, Sarge!


I'm not sure if you will be able to buy any malt as I wasn't able to do so when we left Hong Kong! I had a GlenGrant, I think, that I'd never seen before and was waiting at the counter when clerk informed me that flights going to Australia disallowed liquor purchases! Whether this will be the same from YVR, I don't know. I would think so, however. That being said, you should be able to buy at Duty Free once you land, (You walk through shops en route to Baggage Claim and Customs/Immigration), although I was not overly impressed with the selection I found in Sydney. I had a bottle of Edradour, (no difficulty from YVR to HK), which we'd only had a few snorts from so I wasn't overly fussed about picking anything up. With your Millionaires Muleage, of course, you could buy the most expensive malt available and still pay for drinks for your section at the Grand Prix! Can't really go wrong with some higher end Glenmorangie, Lasanta or Nectar d'Or, Macallan Select Oak, Cask Strength or something from Highland  Park. Not sure that any of those are available as I only did a quick scan of shelves. On the other hand , The Sisterhood might fancy a tipple of rum or vodka so perhaps that might be the way to go.


Did Chloë pass along the camera cord? If not and you still have time it should be in our bedroom tucked below desktop computer, plugged into a USB docking port. I can always buy another one here. I brought along what I thought was right adapter, power connection for new keypad. I simply assumed that it would work for camera chip reader but it has a different device end! I can download directly to my iPad but I have found that there are somethings I cannot do on it, or as easily, relative to my blogs, so I prefer a laptop or desktop when available. I'm using Ania's MacBook now, for example, as I want to  update Kowloon Diaries. Perhaps Flamin' will be able to give me an iPad tutorial in Melbourne!


Could you let me know about cord as I'll pop by a store in Bondi Junction later today if you can't find it. Thanks. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Pat,

Arrived in Hanoi this morning, having slept in a sleeper berth, from Danang. Finally looked at all the photos tonight. Have computer/internet right in my room which is so cool. Tired now as it was not my best sleep last night but the rail journey was fun. 

Saw the water puppet theatre performance tonight, which was as a German friend had once described as tired, and i had to agree a little. 

Likely heading for Halong Bay in a few days but would like to see long range weather forecast. Having my first rain here since Jan 25th. Good bye to all the heat and humidity - i had quite enough of that.

Now, i think you are well into your travels. Enjoy and stay safe. I fly home March 19th.


Say Hello to Corinne.Best wishes, Bob


Hi Bob!

Trust you are well! Have been telling many people, (fellow travellers we've met on trains/buses, in airports, per esempio, who have been to some of the fascinating places you've visited, had cooking classes, etc.), about your exotic junket!
You'll be back in New West by the time our weekend in Melbourne is over! Will post some photos to my various blogs once I've managed to figure out how to do so from my iPad. (Need a tutorial from kids at Mac Store in Bondi Junction!) So far have not been successful so hope to use Ania's laptop before we leave. Cora Lee sends Fondestos. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Pat,
This was a good read.
I don't offer senior's discounts but if you have time, please visit my blog, for the two latest postings at
"wordfrombob.blogspot.com" and have a laugh. Through no fault of Vietnam Rail my day got completely derailed a week ago. One could even call it a minor train wreck. I will never be a Stephen Leacock but i did my best to relate the experience, in a self-effacing way, to my dear readers.
Planning to visit the Perfume Pagoda tomorrow and check out a Cobra Ranch on Saturday. Fly home to not so balmy Vancouver on Monday.
Best wishes from Hanoi. bob


The naming disorder -- plurisignification
The use of a word to convey multiple meanings at the same time.

P,

Regards to C.

Hope you are enjoying the sun, W


Greetings Patrice,

Can we meet at 7pm on the corner on Goulburn and George Streets, which is 3 blocks down George torwards Chinatown. There is a large high rise called 
World Square and up the escalators is a bar with an outdoor / enclosed section.

Kevin suggested a Taiwanese Dumpling restaurant nearby, however I don’t think it is BYO, otherwise here is a popular little Thai Restaurant owned by a mate of mine nearby that is BYO.

Call me if you run into any hassles.

Regards

Hi pat
Went on line skybus
Out of Melbourne airport it's $17 u can book on line get the bus from airport and transfer to out Hoyle for no extra charge'. We bought advance ticket


Michele



I think she meant transfer to hotel. 


Hi pat
I don't think I got the email about the transit to hotel. Maybe Wayne got it?? How is weather trying to decide on how many pairs of shoes I need my biggest challenge!!

Michele




Michele Darrow-Sutherland
Michele Darrow-Sutherland updated her status: "Leaving tomorrow for 5 weeks to Australia!! How's ya goin mate!!!"





Wayne Sutherland
Wayne Sutherland updated his status: "Upgraded to First Class for my flight to Sydney Australia. Going to enjoy the Gran Prix that much more. Love Air Air Canada."

Going to be a great flight to Sydney. Turn 4 of the Gran Prix.
Wayne A Sutherland 


Hi Chloë and Maggster!

Sounds fine as bed is large enough that even if they are not used to sleeping together they will almost be in separate beds!

Went for another swim yesterday afternoon. Pool really is most pleasant, perhaps my favourite here in Sydney. Not very busy during the times I usually go so I don't have to wait for showers, etc. Back home about 4:30pm to collect Nana as we were met Tim that evening. Had a wonderful dinner with him and his new "beau", Kevin, (Will send some snaps when I've a moment to download them.), from Taiwan. He is a graduate student at U of Sydney, (working on an MA in Accounting), not far from the pool at Victoria Park where I have been swimming all week. We arranged to meet at a pub about three blocks from the Town Hall subway station, in a complex called World House. When we arrived about 6:45pm, discovered that pub was closed! Cora Lee waited at the bottom of the escalators leading to where pub used to be while I went in seach of a pay phone to call Tim. Found a Vodophone outlet and since Tim works for this company decided to ask one of sales clerks if he could phone Tim for me. He did so but the number I had was wrong! Either I copied it down incorrectly of misheard what Tim related. At any rate, he tapped me on the shoulder just after we discovered that number was not in service so all was well.

Tim looks very well and after we rejoined Kevin and Cora Lee we made our way to a Thai restaurant called Thanon Khao San, just around the corner. The owner is related to Tim's immediate boss so that is how he came to know about it originally. Place is terrific with a friendly, inviting atmosphere and food was superb. It is BYOB so we brought along two bottles, a Semillon and a Shiraz, which Coriandre had picked up at Kemeny's, our favourite wine shop near Bondi Beach, that afternoon.

We enjoyed a truly wonderful meal, (King prawns in spicy red curry sauce; fried wonton filled with quail egg; crispy pork belly with Chinese broccoli; yellow curry with fish; fried pork mince with fresh vegetable sand crushed hot chilli), catching up with Tim and getting to know Kevin. Tim seems much more relaxed than we have ever found him. I suppose his steady employment, which his personality is certainly suited for, (He is a Business Development Manager for Vodophone, basically targeting large corporate accounts.), and his emotionally rewarding relationship with Kevin have both contributed to his happiness and stability.

They will give us a lift to the airport tomorrow and we will have lunch beforehand so we'll have another chance to see them before we return to Sydney, just prior to the Easter Weekend which we will spend in the Hunter Valley, along with Kathleen and Steve.

Have to go now as Her Majesty has insisted that I go swimming early. We are hosting Yael and Adina, their husbands, Dale and Ben, and all their children, five in total! I have to pick up a few things for dinner and be back to help with food preparation well before guests start to arrive around 5:00pm. Must re-pack as well, although have not really much to do on that score.

You didn't mention anything about Mom. Please try to pop by to give her supper as often as you can manage, check her nails and put cream on her arms and face. She might need a "shave' from time to time as well. Thanks for giving envelope to Sarge. Am expecting him to call from airport, shortly, just to say hello and goodbye!

What was the commotion you alluded to on Facebook?



Fine, but what's the plan.
 
Much warm, warm love, Dad!

Hi Tiptoe!

Fab, fab time last night! Wonderful food, stellar company! Terrific to meet Generalissimo! Let us know what time we should expect you: 11:00ish to have time to drop some of our stuff at your place and then have lunch before we are chauffeured to airport! Time for more Semillon! Cheers, Patrice!


ps: the street here is fab

No comments:

Post a Comment